What are the Job Duties of a PCU Nurse?
Step down (PCU) unit Registered Nurses (RNs) perform basic job duties that include treating patients, educating patients and the public about various medical conditions, and providing advice and emotional support to patients’ family members, as well as provide pre or post intensive care to patients with pulmonary, cardiovascular, or respiratory distress. RNs record patients’ medical histories and symptoms; help to perform diagnostic tests and analyze results; operate medical machinery; administer treatment and medications; and help with patient follow-up and rehabilitation. Step down (PCU) unit Registered Nurses (RNs) also develop a plan of care that is individualized for the adult patient in a transitional/progressive care setting reflecting collaboration with other members of the healthcare team.
Qualifications / PCU Nurse Skills:
- The credentials normally associated with competence in this position include a minimum Diploma or Associate Degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university.
- RN Certification and state licensure.
- BLS and Basic EKG rhythm recognition.
- PCCN Certification optional but encouraged.
- Knowledge of nursing, anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
- Knowledge of equipment, sterilization techniques and procedures of treatment.
- Management of patients on BIPAP/CPAP, conscious sedation, peritoneal dialysis, blood, code blue, cardioversion, defibrillator, permanent pacemakers, pre/post surgery care, tracheotomy care, chest tubes, tube feedings, ostomy care, wound care, IV therapy-initiation, central line care, and care of dying patient and family.
- Knowledge of OSHA / JCAHO / HIPPA regulations.
- Ability to read charts to ensure lab tests and reports required are there for physician review.
- Pre/post operative /DC teaching.
- Oversee licensed practical nurses, nursing aides, and home care aides.
- Medical and pharmacological administration skills.
- Computer literacy using EMR/EHR/CPOE systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Find jobs in this nursing specialty: